Join our community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with like-minded tourism professionals from around the world.

Sustainable today, successful tomorrow Community Good tourism Finding new partners for your business

• Finding new partners for your business

Posted by Anne on 9 November 2022 at 11:33

As a business looking for sustainable growth and aiming to offer your travellers the best travel experiences- great, reliable partners are key.

How do you select your (new) partners? Very curious to hear about your approach!

👉 What is your preferred way of finding new partners?

👉 Do you prefer online or offline meetings to connect?

👉 What are criteria you use to select new partners? And is good tourism part of this?

Anne replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 17 Members · 52 Replies
  • 52 Replies
  • Monalisa Aman

13 November 2022 at 11:21
    Bronze

I’d want to do business with an entity with similar values. A simple
    example in doing business in Uganda, where nearly everyone has been
    “tuned” to expect a bribe, or something under the table for something
    that they are actually already employed to do! It can be quite
    frustrating.

In-person meeting would be preferred. If online, perhaps via referral.

• Anne

Administrator
      16 November 2022 at 11:38

Very good to hear you’re looking to do business with companies that share your values. Which values do you find most important?

And very understandable that doing business in Uganda is difficult like this, how do you overcome/avoid situations like this?

• Alberta

24 March 2023 at 16:12
        Bronze

I would like to select in an offline manner . Go to different communities and express to them my approach to Community Tourism. Find out what tour packages they would like to offer. Discuss with local stakeholders the payment for their demonstration of their tour package.

• Javier

15 November 2022 at 19:52
    Bronze

Hola Anne,

I answer the questions:

I think that attending a tourist event in a country would be the most fun and recommendable, but there are few opportunities that can be given. Today it could be recommendations, searching the internet is also a good option, always guiding you from the opinions and if you have time working in the business you already know who are good suppliers.

Online but depends on others.

Experience or otherwise talent and potential.

Vision or practice of social responsibility that we can contribute to the visited destination.

The infrastructure or equipment is in adequate condition according to standards.

Highly trained staff to provide good service.

Professional ethics

Greeting from Peru!

• Anne

Administrator
      16 November 2022 at 11:45

Hi Javier, thank you for your extensive answers. Yes absolutely, a tourist event in a specific destination is most fun but also more difficult and more expensive. Most likely the best approach is a combination of first online and then on-site.

Also so good to see you have a very clear idea what kind of partners you’re looking for. This will get you far, well done!

• Nelson

20 November 2022 at 09:42
    Bronze

I think a B2B approach through an expo or a road show is a good option: You are able to communicate your values, unique selling points to your prospective partners. However homework is needed to on the prospective buyers to understand what they may be looking for and why they should choose you. The Elephant in the room is how are you managing Sustainable tourism.

• Anne

Administrator
      21 November 2022 at 16:04

Yes absolutely @mugisha-nelsonand how do you then make sure you select the right partners to have meetings with? And how do you communicate why they should choose you?

• Nelson

23 November 2022 at 11:54
        Bronze

I do some research on the product that prospective partners offer; give suggestions on what to add from my destination and I also communicate my unique selling points.

• Anne

Administrator
          23 November 2022 at 14:46

Very good, well done! 👏

• Alberta

24 March 2023 at 16:12
            Bronze

I would prefer an offline meeting. This way I’ll better able to see facial expressions. I would also check for 5 star reviews. Get feedback from others.

• Anne

Administrator
              24 March 2023 at 16:13

Good idea to also look at reviews and hear feedback from others. This is a great tool to find out what the company is actually like!

• Adam

2 December 2022 at 12:43
    Gold

For sustainable growth find the right partners is crucial. Partners who share the same values on sustainable tourism like improving the livelihoods of the local communities are some I would definitely target.

It obviously involves searching online, which is the cheapest way. However getting them to experience what services you are offering through trade shows or joint Ventures like conventions or campaigns for the same cause, would be a effective way to get to know your prospective

• Anne

Administrator
      6 December 2022 at 11:08

Yes absolutely. First make a pre-selection online and when you feel there might be a suitable fit you can try and meet them in person!

• Samantha

23 February 2023 at 17:06
    Bronze

This is one of the secrets of the business success. In this regard wide range of partners are available.

• Samantha

23 February 2023 at 17:08
    Bronze

If we develop unique experiences and open opportunities for wide range of guests then we can attract travelers at any time of the year.

• Sherina

15 March 2023 at 20:02
    Bronze

hello Anne

I would target partners that share the same valve on sustainable tourism and understand their customer reviews.

2.i think meeting with them is much more reliable compared to online because you are able to understand your partners interests and purpose of the business unlike online not everyone is always reliable.

3.with the criteria you look at their customers reviews, The transparent in their practices. The quality services and sustainability plan

• Anne

Administrator
      16 March 2023 at 15:19

Yes I agree with you that meeting them in person is always much better. It will give you a good idea of the business (and people in it) and understand how they work and communicate. However, money/distance wise it might not always be an option and in this case online meetings (or attending trade shows) is a better option.

• HERBERT

16 March 2023 at 12:00
    Bronze

Meeting a successful business partner takes a hard thinking, understanding and knowledge. it may both be online/offline depending on who the person you meet is? However in a world of Travel & Tourism business, finding a reliable, genuine, trusted and committed partner especially with GOOD TOURISM is a way to go. Partnership is one way to grow, market, promote and increase sales for a business.

• Anne

Administrator
      16 March 2023 at 15:23

Spot on Herbert! Good tourism requires good partners and as a tourism business it’s your responsibility to forge the right partnerships that help your business grow and become more sustainable.

• Robert

19 March 2023 at 10:26
    Bronze

For me I prefer to look for local craft makers where visitors will get an authentic local personal experience and where the money they spend goes directly into supporting local businesses than taking visitors to the big tourist shops. I visit the local craft markets and talk with the crafters there to see who will welcome visitors to their studios or where we can see their work displayed and for sale in local cafes restaurants and bars.

• Anne

Administrator
      19 March 2023 at 16:38

Such a great approach Robert, thank you for sharing! What are criteria you select local craft makers on besides them wanting to welcome visitors into their studios? And do you work with one craft maker only or do you work with multiple visiting them alternately?

• Robert

19 March 2023 at 19:05
    Bronze

We have a list of local crafters that we can visit so clients can choose to visit people and crafts that they have an interest in. People like Sean Egan an amazing Glass cutter in Waterford to Susan Meaney at the Burran Fairies studio or the Skellig chocolate factory everyone of them took the chance to set up their own business and I like the idea of supporting them and I want to see what we do as a benefit everyone in the local community.

Money earned locally spent locally is benefiting the whole community, B&B & Cafe owners shop locally their staff are local so when my clients stay in a local B&B or have a meal in a local restaurant the money trickles down to benefit all of the local community. when client buys a piece from Sean Egan they are not just buying a beautiful signed piece of art they are injecting money straight into the local economy.

Over the next year our plan is to create a listing of all the local crafters in each area on our website with links directly to their websites

• Anne

Administrator
      28 March 2023 at 09:39

That sounds great Robert and well thought through to ensure fair distribution of tourism benefits, well done!

• Priscilla

24 March 2023 at 16:15
    Silver

Our preferered way of finding partners is going online ,searching and presenting proposals t.o companies with similar business objectives and values. Attending business expos in the region and internationally are other avenues we have tried to meet would be partners though it has become even harder since Covid-19 hit.

• Anne

Administrator
      24 March 2023 at 16:16

Thank you for sharing Priscilla. What happens next as soon as you’ve found a suitable partner?

I can also imagine that due to the pandemic it’s a lot harder to meer suitable partners in person, do know that even there it’s difficult to find the right one with so many present. There are pros and cons for all approaches, and in the end it’s important you choose what works for you.

• Priscilla

24 March 2023 at 16:16
        Silver

After getting a suitable fit online, then i would arrange to meet them in person to discuss deeper how we can work together to achieve our objectives through a win -win sharing plus putting into consideration doing responsible tourism profitable business with sustainability practices as our core area.

• Anne

Administrator
          24 March 2023 at 16:17

Sounds great Priscilla, to filter online and when you think you’ve found a suitable partner, meet them in person to discuss how to best work together. Good luck!

• Rita

27 March 2023 at 22:52
    Bronze

Going through the current lost of partners and checking if they have any sustainability certification. For those who don’t, inquiring them about their sustainabiity policies and practices. Whenever possible, offline meetings alow a clearer picture, but often they are far away and its difficult, so online is a solution. And yes, finding if they have a good tourism approach is definitely a condition.

• Anne

Administrator
      28 March 2023 at 09:29

🙌 🙌 🙌

• HERBERT

18 April 2023 at 10:51
      Bronze

Hello
      Travel and Tourism is part of mankind’s DNA. Thanks to travel, we meet
      other cultures, we discover, we learn, we trade, we create wealth for
      our communities. I am very confident that the travel industry will
      come back and may be faster and stronger than we dare to predict now
      and even more resilient.
      Partnership.
      we have been told that to succeed in life and business you need
      partnership. In this era of scarce resources, that ‘s the case even
      more. There are many opportunities for partnerships in the travel and
      tourism industry but they take FOCUS, Planning and work.
      For a partnership to be truly successful;
      1. It must be mutually beneficial
      2. It requires that participants discuss and agree on their roles and
      responsibilities and document them in writing.
      3. Those involve should equally shoulder the duties and commitment.
      4. communication is crucial
      5. Mechanism must be in place to evaluate the success and benefit of
      the partnership.
      The whole career has been and continues to be, that travel and tourism
      partnership is key in a very business and makes the industry
      enjoyable, profitable and resourceful. It is in this therefore, that
      ONE VILLAGE TOURS & TRAVEL a tours and travel company that runs
      inbound tourism in Uganda calls for a business partnership with you
      as an individual, company and organization.
      For further details, contact us through;
      Herbert Bagyenyi Kajoki
      P o BOX 422,
      Kabale – Uganda.
      emails: onevillage2013@gmail.com
      info@onevillagetours.com
      herbert@onevillagetours.com
      Tel: +256701233725 whatsapp/ +256772692569

• Divine

29 March 2023 at 22:46
    Silver

Partners are crucial in the tourism business and hence the process of finding new partners is not to be taken lightly. If possible, I would like to meet them offline than online. Because people can easily talk about practices they have read but not practiced and they might appear to be slow in the journey of meeting the standards. Distance and time are also a challenge if you want to meet a partner in person whom you’ve been discussing offline. People are more genuine offline that offline.

Criteria’s?

Effective communication; There has to be a transparent and effective communication on a regular basis with potential partners.

Shared vision; This is so important in choosing a potential partner to me because there have to be a common goal unto which we are all working hard to achieve

Reputation; Online and offline, you can always get information about people’s good reviews, history with other partners and their testimonials. I will track the records and reputation while looking for partners.

• Anne

Administrator
      30 March 2023 at 11:41

Absolutely Divine and it looks like you have thought this through very well! All three criteria are essential for a successful partnership.

How will you track their records and reputation?

• Divine

30 March 2023 at 13:32
    Silver

To track their reputation and record, I will check out from their different social medias, to see how they are doing, which sustainable practices they have and enquire them especially about their sustainability practices to assess that we really have common goals.

• Anne

Administrator
      31 March 2023 at 10:55

👏👏👏

• HERBERT

18 April 2023 at 10:46
    Bronze

Hello
    Travel and Tourism is part of mankind’s DNA. Thanks to travel, we meet
    other cultures, we discover, we learn, we trade, we create wealth for
    our communities. I am very confident that the travel industry will
    come back and may be faster and stronger than we dare to predict now
    and even more resilient.
    Partnership.
    we have been told that to succeed in life and business you need
    partnership. In this era of scarce resources, that ‘s the case even
    more. There are many opportunities for partnerships in the travel and
    tourism industry but they take FOCUS, Planning and work.
    For a partnership to be truly successful;
    1. It must be mutually beneficial
    2. It requires that participants discuss and agree on their roles and
    responsibilities and document them in writing.
    3. Those involve should equally shoulder the duties and commitment.
    4. communication is crucial
    5. Mechanism must be in place to evaluate the success and benefit of
    the partnership.
    The whole career has been and continues to be, that travel and tourism
    partnership is key in a very business and makes the industry
    enjoyable, profitable and resourceful. It is in this therefore, that
    ONE VILLAGE TOURS & TRAVEL a tours and travel company that runs
    inbound tourism in Uganda calls for a business partnership with you
    as an individual, company and organization.
    For further details, contact us through;
    Herbert Bagyenyi Kajoki
    P o BOX 422,
    Kabale – Uganda.
    emails: onevillage2013@gmail.com
    info@onevillagetours.com
    herbert@onevillagetours.com
    Tel: +256701233725 whatsapp/ +256772692569

• Anne

Administrator
      18 April 2023 at 13:02

Looks like you’ve thought this through @HERBS123 , well done.

Can you tell us a little more about which mechanisms you put in place to evaluate the success and benefits of a partnership?

Page 1 of 2