Join our community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with like-minded tourism professionals from around the world.

Sustainable today, successful tomorrow Community Good tourism How do you protect wildlife as a tour operator? πŸ‹

• How do you protect wildlife as a tour operator? πŸ‹

Posted by Anne on 25 October 2022 at 10:42

The WWF reports a devastating 69% drop in wildlife populations since 1970.

Their report shows how sensitive the wildlife populations are and how important it is to protect and conserve them. 🐘

What is the current situation in your destination? πŸ‘‡

• Which animal(s) are losing population numbers in your destination?
    • Do you know the main cause of their population drop?
    • How are you currently protecting them?
    • What would you do to protect them if you have unlimited resources?

New to the topic? Read our article about guidelines for animal welfare in our library.

Anne replied 10 months ago 13 Members · 38 Replies
  • 38 Replies
  • Ahereza Brian

26 October 2022 at 11:05
    Bronze

Community Engagement is Key, Conservation can never happen without Community involvement. We Must consider 3 Pillars of Conservation and sustainability, that is
    Care for People
    Care for Land and giving us results to
    Care for Wildlife.

Considering all these 3 Pillars That’s how we can protect wildlife so as Tour Operators we need to prioritize the best pillars that will lead to contribute to another pillar’s end result being care for the wildlife.

• Anne

Administrator
      26 October 2022 at 11:10

Absolutely Brian, community involvement is so essential in conservation work. How do you ensure these three pillars in your own business?

• Ahereza Brian

26 October 2022 at 11:20
        Bronze

Care Of The Land –

β€’ Through Reducing Our Direct Carbon Footprint By 8%

β€’ Sustainable Use Of Water

β€’ Zero Plastic Water Bottles

Care Of The Wildlife

β€’ Protection Of Endangered Land & Marine Species By Focusing On At Least 3 Endangered Species

β€’ Active Management of The Wildlife Population To Maintain Biodiversity, Where We Have Full Control Of The Land

β€’ Supporting Wildlife Conservation Education through education.

Care Of The People

β€’ Maximize Our Localised Shared Value Opportunities Through Economic Benefit

β€’ Maximize Our Localised Shared Value Opportunities Through Capacity Building

β€’ Maximize Our Localised Shared Value Opportunities Through Social Service Infrastructure:

If we can contribute to any of those above items listed protection through these would be achieved.

• Anne

Administrator
          26 October 2022 at 11:27

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Magada Haily Miriam

26 October 2022 at 14:19
        Bronze

Cause of population drop

* Destruction and degradation of habitats due to human activities(deforestation/ wetland reclamation)

* Hunting and poaching for game meat

* Trapping for pet and trade

* Pollution especially the floating plastics.

** How to protect population if I had unlimited resources

*Research to find out causes of the drop and forge way forward to sustainable approaches and mitigation measures.( reduce water pollution/ deforestation)

* Create awareness among the communities about the importance of the animals

* Community involvement in designing conservation by- laws.

* Establish deterrent laws to punish culprits and discourage others from killing animals

* Offer communities alternatives:- employ key poachers into the National parks and areas of conservation , Enroll youths into parish Model systems to start businesses.

* Avoid single use plastic and roll to reusable bottles and shopping bags.

• Anne

Administrator
          26 October 2022 at 15:18

Thank you for sharing @Magada Haily Miriam – and very interesting measures if you had unlimited resources.

Very curious to hear what you’re currently doing with available resources to protect wildlife populations in Uganda.

• Adam

25 December 2022 at 18:03
          Gold

I totally agree with you Miriam, destruction of the natural habits is a major cause of reduction of wildlife. With ever increasing numbers of the population, human settlements are weeping out the natural habitats through exploitation of natural resources for construction, cultivation and infrastructure development.

• Tony

28 October 2022 at 15:37
    Silver

Wildlife can also be protected by compliance with the regulations and statutes that are in place for conservation and protection of the said wildlife and the environment. Eg.The Wildlife Act of 2019

Also through vigilance in reporting violations through advocacy and sensitisation

Through best sustainable practices eg. Supporting communities and reformed poachers etc to earn revenues from alternative livelihoods and practices Reducing waste ,eg no single use plastics , partnering with like minded supplers that use renewable energy ,harvest water etc eg lodges

Educating the young at elementary level

• Adam

27 December 2022 at 08:39
    Gold

With unlimited resources, I would target my efforts to designing policy especially towards African governments to designate land for wildlife conservation. Land reforms strategy towards conservation of the wildlife and biodiversity is a sensitive, but also a gateway for great economic opportunities for Africa, if properly managed. One of the being sustainable nature based tourism.This would obviously include educational, Sensitization and propagation iniatives together with institutional structural reforms.

• Anne

Administrator
      28 December 2022 at 15:10

Amazing Adam! Also very interested to hear what you’re currently doing with available resources to achieve this.

• Adam

29 December 2022 at 11:30
        Gold

Community engagement. We are trying to improve the livelihoods of the community and one way is to promote Tourism in the area, to be more precise sustainable tourism.

• Adam

29 December 2022 at 12:14
        Gold

Community based tourism which ensures the community benefits from all activities.

• Muhumuza Daniel

4 February 2023 at 17:21
    Bronze

Governments should sensitize Communities about animal protection and benefits of protecting them (Wildlife).

• Anne

Administrator
      4 February 2023 at 19:23

Yes absolutely, it should always also be at governmental level! But I believe tour operators (and any other tourism business) are in a great position to support the government here. For example by educating communities but also by offering community-based tourism. What do you think?

• Robin

13 February 2023 at 14:22
    Bronze

This is challenging where I am in the southern Canadian Rockies because big oil is active and backed by corrupt criminality destroying pristine mountain biosphere wild lands for coal, including elected officials, political party “green folk”, and via boards of directors on conservation NGOs.

We have had some excellent news such as the comeback of the swift fox after white settlers hunted it to extinction in the 1930s. Unfortunately, the municipality decided to celebrate by building huge estate homes on the land and marketing it as “Fox Borough”. Financial and political corruption is the primary destruction factor in conservation.

Political fighting and community polarization is hurting conservation efforts – people are suspicious. Information disappears down the hole when it’s given to police who should be investigating but don’t.

Taking notes and photos of tour sites to capture and chronicle damage is the only thing I believe can be done for now since there is no political will to deal with humanity with dignity or integrity, let alone voiceless wildlife.

• Adam

13 February 2023 at 16:01
      Gold

Sorry you are facing such challenges Robin. I thought such cases were common only in Africa or the third world. It is very difficult having you go against the political tread against government organizations. However with networking avenues like this and many others through the social media and campaigns, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I would encourage you to continue advocating and lobbying together with sister organizations to try and change the political will in that region.

• Anne

Administrator
        13 February 2023 at 20:47

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Robin

13 February 2023 at 23:12
        Bronze

You hit the nail on the head with networking, Adam! When I lived in France, I was amazed at all the diverse perspectives compared to Canada/US and it was extremely valuable. I’m happy to be here and learning and sharing with everyone πŸ™‚

• Anne

Administrator
          14 February 2023 at 09:17

Great to hear this! Happy networking and learning 😁

• Anne

Administrator
      13 February 2023 at 20:46

Very surprised and at the same time downhearted to hear about these issues in the Canadian Rockies. I can imagine it’s extremely difficult to lobby and focus on animal welfare and conservation here.

Do you also see organisations besides yourself stand up and voice change? And what would you need from others such as stakeholders, residents and perhaps even travellers in the region to conserve wildlife here?

• Robin

13 February 2023 at 23:03
        Bronze

I lived in France for several years and most people found it hard to believe that Canada suffers corruption – unfortunately it does – where there is oil and coal mining, even more so.

Because this is a rural area, competition is fierce over limited resources and very highly politically charged, making it a challenging business climate.

From an Indigenous perspective (part of the ecotourism focus of my business), conservation is colonialism and regional fighting over taxpayer funding is fuelling corruption – for this reason, I avoid political anything like the plague and prefer nonpartisan grassroots action.

I don’t think there’s a simple answer to avoiding politics, except to remain independent locally and strengthen my connections to the larger global community. All of this said, it helps to differentiate my practice from other tour operators.

• Anne

Administrator
          14 February 2023 at 09:19

Yes exactly, it’s certainly not β€˜common knowledge’ to us Europeans I’d say. I can imagine it’s challenging and there won’t be a simple solution but well done on remaining independent and to collaborate with those that can support you!

• Samantha

23 February 2023 at 17:00
    Bronze

This is on eof the most important aspects. Sri Lanka also is facing many challenges due to economic develpment and tourism. All tourism operators must understand this situation.

• Anne

Administrator
      24 February 2023 at 09:38

What are the main challenges in Sri Lanka when it comes to wildlife conservation and tourism?

• Rita

27 March 2023 at 22:35
    Bronze

First of all, not selling any products which might include wildlife exploitation/interactions causing a negative impact on animals; secondly, training the Guides at the Destination regarding sustainability and conservation, as they have a very important role amongst clients and also local communities, Finally, contributing and motivating clients to contribute to good animal welfare causes.

• Anne

Administrator
      28 March 2023 at 09:27

Thank you for adding this Rita. Such a combined approach will create the most positive impact!

• Divine

4 April 2023 at 16:47
    Silver

Hello Anne, I have a question. Through the process of protecting animals, how is domestic animals supposed to be protected when we think about its high level of human interaction?

Is it sustainably okay to hold domestic animals like a baby? eg sheep or goats that is usually around people.

• Anne

Administrator
      5 April 2023 at 10:29

Hi Divine, good question. A lot of talk in the tourism industry is about wildlife and not domesticated animals. But in the end it does come down to the same principle: animals should never suffer, have pain or be cruelly treated.

In general domesticated animals should:

• Be well fed and be fit
      • Be well taken care of
      • Be treated respectfully
      • Have enough room to move/live
      • Have enough resting days
      • In case of riding, have good equipment
      • Not have to carry too heavy gear/luggage/tourists

For more background information, read Wanderlusts’ article about how to help stop horses, camels and other working animals suffering in the tourism industry.

• Divine

5 April 2023 at 13:05
    Silver

Thank you so much, this is so helpful..

• Posiano

18 April 2023 at 11:09
    Bronze

Sensitizing communities about the need to have wildlife protection and conservation.

By ensuring an environment free polythene paper, bottles and all non-decomposing materials

By investing in reward environmental and wildlife activists to boost their morale and attracting more to fight for betterment of wildlife

By ensuring political stability for wildlife are muchly affected by civil and political wars

• Anne

Administrator
      18 April 2023 at 13:00

Very good to hear @Kasaazi . Can you give us some specific examples of how you contribute to rewarding environmental and wildlife activists and ensuring political stability for wildlife?

• Posiano

18 April 2023 at 17:46
        Bronze

Like recognizing them during community sensitizations, and government awarding national medals on national occasions like Independece day celebrations in Uganda. This encourages the more

• KAPIMPINA

29 April 2023 at 16:17
    Bronze

To educate the population so as to ensure the sustainable use of Uganda’s natural resources and to conserve the country’s wildlife heritage for the present and future generations.

The TBL is an important tool for tour Operators to consider when planning their operations, particularly when it comes to wildlife conservation. By taking into account the ecological, social, and economic considerations when making decisions, operators can ensure their operations are both sustainable and beneficial to wildlife. This helps to ensure that wildlife are protected and conserved for future generations to enjoy as well.

• Anne

Administrator
      29 April 2023 at 21:00

Absolutely @kapimpinamoris. Can you give us some examples of how you practically do this in your business?

• KAPIMPINA

2 May 2023 at 09:14
        Bronze

Basically with: https://caninesafarisug.com/ my business, we look at the 3 Triple Bottom Line using our specific travel packages as a driver for community development through working with Charitable organizations to address challenges in the local communities (Corporate Social Responsibility)

Environmental aspect we have coordinated Projects (Oweitu NiNkore Project : https://caninesafarisug.com/2023/02/24/oweitu-ninkore-project-driving-towards-tourism-for-inclusive-growth/ meaning ”Our home is Nkore”) therefore the project aims at strengthening the role of local communities in the tourism Business ecosystem to boost domestic tourism and develop agriculture as a tourism product thus driving local people’s economy.(Conservation of natural resources through use of Agri-tourism)

• Anne

Administrator
          2 May 2023 at 10:13

Thank you for sharing and so good to see your active and transparent focus!

• Adri

26 June 2023 at 16:04
    Bronze

It is easy to say we must support communities and reform poachers to rather earn revenue from alternative livelihoods – but it seems that we are losing the battle to save the Rhino.

The protected ones are in hiding where no one can see them with high security, unfortunately in the wild, or such as Kruger National Park millions are also spent to secure the Rhinos. It is an ongoing problem with no answer yet.

The only thing is education and support of local communities and to find more ways in which they can have a sustainable living without the need to poach.

• Anne

Administrator
      27 June 2023 at 11:19

Hi Adri, yes you’re absolutely right. The gap between saying we need to do something versus actually doing it well is still quite large in these cases.

Do you know of initiatives/practices that succeed in supporting local communities to support them in making an income (through tourism for example) to prevent them from poaching?