Join our community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with like-minded tourism professionals from around the world.

Sustainable today, successful tomorrow Community Travel experiences What is the impact of overtourism in your destination? 🌍

• What is the impact of overtourism in your destination? 🌍

Posted by Anne on 12 July 2023 at 15:42

Let’s dive deeper into the pressing issue of overtourism! 🌍 While it may initially appear as a mere inconvenience, there are substantial negative impacts associated with this phenomenon.

We’re keen to gather your insights on the main impact of overtourism in your destinations. 📌

Please share your thoughts below and let us know how you’re tackling these challenges!

What is the most significant impact of overtourism in your destination?

• Overcrowding
    • Erosion
    • Isolation of locals
    • Pollution
    • Water scarcity
    • Cultural divide between locals

Share your experiences and strategies in the comments below!

Bernard replied 4 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Bernard

6 December 2023 at 12:59
    Bronze

Actually I went to Ngorongoro crater as a student when I pursued my degree in wildlife tourism management in 2022 and I had bad experience.

I found that the area was beyond it’s carrying capacity and there was congestion of the vehicles that cause soil erosion and bad tourism experience among travellers.

• Anne

Administrator
      13 December 2023 at 11:05

I can imagine @Bennie_Banks ! The Ngorongoro Crater is such a small ecosystem and often there are more than 200 cars driving around, all trying to get their passengers the best experience.

Responsible tourism is the best approach, with monitoring carrying capacity, going off the beaten track to spread impact, and generating revenue to protect wildlife areas and support local economies.

What do you think would be a suitable approach for Ngorongoro?

• Bernard

13 December 2023 at 11:19
    Bronze

Actually they did. The Ngorongoro crater is found within The Ngorongoro Conservation areas. They tried to diversify tourism products / activities within protected area and the NCA has 7 craters (olmoti, Empakai, Ngorongoro and etc) also there a the third highest peak in Tanzania known as Mt Lolimalasini as well as the Mountain of God (Oldonyo Lengai) but it still seems like the tourists prefeNgorongoro Crater. You can imagine during high peak season there are over 700 vehicles congested within the Crate. Blocking tourist from enjoying the scenery views of the Crater

• Anne

Administrator
      13 December 2023 at 11:21

Thank you for sharing! What else do you think can be done to avoid such heavy peak seasons?

• Bernard

13 December 2023 at 11:30
    Bronze

1. Setting up a carrying capacity maybe to understand the Limit of acceptable change by limiting the number of vehicles that should descending in the crater.

2. Improve infrastructure since other tourism products/ attractions found within NCA seems to have poor roads and impossible to reach

• Anne

Administrator
      21 December 2023 at 13:10

Thank you for sharing @Bennie_Banks . Do you think travel businesses have some way of influence on the government to make this happen?

• Bernard

21 December 2023 at 13:46
    Bronze

Yes of course